Wednesday, December 01, 2004

World AIDS Day

This is the first entry I have done while not at the hospital in quite awhile. Not that that means anything to anyone, but that is not the point. Actually I am not exactly sure what point I thought I was trying to make. Nevermind.

Today is World AIDS Day. All day long. It has been since midnight, I assume. I decided that for World AIDS Day, I am going to give several links related to HIV/AIDS awareness and other such subject matter. Since this has as of recently become an educational blog (i.e. 'B' is the letter Cookie Monster is talking about and after a million years or so you get tired and cigarettes can cause lung cancer), I felt it only right that I do my part in educating you all.

This is the official World AIDS Day site.

Here is an Overview of HIV and AIDS. This is from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

The CDC's HIV/AIDS section.

This is the site for World AIDS Day where you can sponsor a HopeChild, child living in a community with a high prevalence of HIV/AIDS.

This is AboutHealth's teen site which has lots of info on AIDS including facts and myths about it, dealing with it, and testimonials from teens who have been living with it. There is also a site to help parents in talking to their kids about safe sex and HIV/AIDS here. AboutHealth is just an excellent source for any issue parents may want to talk to their children about.

This is the first site I found upon testing positive three years ago. YouthHIV offers support to people who are dealing with HIV and need to know that they are not alone. It is very informative, straight forward, and easy to read, which is something that you can really appreciate after finding out and can barely think straight. Medical journals, from my experience, offer mostly frustration and confusion in that situation, which needlesstosay, is not the best thing. YouthHIV is part of the reason I am not dead today actually.

So there ya go. Email if I can be of anymore help.

Later Consuela.